Wednesday, October 30

Musings Before the Theater (1)



Yesterday, I finally convinced my good friend Ligniere to attend a theatrical performance of Clorise at the Hotel de Bourgogne. I worry about him sometimes. He seems nervous as of recently, almost to a point of paranoia, but drinking typically calms him down. If it wasn't for that, I fear he might never leave his house nowadays. That isn't to suggest that he is anything of an unsociable fellow. Quite the contrary, it always seems as if he could introduce you to practically anyone worth knowing at a social gathering such as this, which is precisely why I wanted his company on this particular night. If I can learn who she is, I might at least know if my love has even the slightest glimmer of hope, or if it is  simply doomed to failure.

If it is not to be, then I may very well have wasted my last night before joining the Guards. After all, I have never really been one for the theater. Though I look forward to my life as a soldier, fighting for the prosperity of France, I know that it can only be made better if the woman of my dreams is awaiting my return. Alas, even if she were to feel for me as I feel for her, I will always be a fool, and my witless mind will prove the downfall of our love.





This rampart lies just outside the theater. If I ever find my true love, I want to remember to take her here.

No comments:

Post a Comment