Wednesday, October 30

My Time With the Gascons (2)

As of now, I write as one of the mighty Gascon defenders. I will admit though, my time with them thus far has been significantly more challenging and tedious than I had anticipated . Not only are they hard on me for being the newest and least experienced member of the lot, but they treat me like an outsider. It is difficult to fulfill such a role, but I know I ought to expect nothing less from the famous Cadets of Gascoyne, whose reputation proceeds them as proud and fierce, not to mention their obvious rivalry with the Normans, with whom they associate me. In time I shall earn my place, but how? Most of these men have probably fought alongside each other, and forged bonds of friendship that I will never be able to match until such a time as I myself earn their trust as a soldier. Though I long for the glory and fame of such an experience, I dread the possible consequences of actually finding myself in the heat of battle. 

All of this is made worse by the intolerable presence of De Guiche. Ever since I learned from Ligniere about his love for my beautiful Roxane, and his intention to have her marry that scoundrel Valvert, I have been harboring an ever growing resentment for every fiber of his being. Aside from my personal dislike of him, he seems to gain as little respect from the others as I do, although they would never make that outwardly apparent in his presence as they would mine, for fear of incurring his wrath. It would seem that my superior officer is also my primary opposition.




I have walked along this street so many times before, never realizing that it was of any significance until Ligniere informed my that it was Roxane's residence. Now I make a point of walking by every night on my way home.    

No comments:

Post a Comment