Wednesday, October 30

My Friend Cyrano (3)



I can barely begin to describe my appreciation for the course that my life has begun to follow. My past misfortunes both in love and with my fellow comrades seem long gone, driven away by the merriment of a newly found friendship. I have become strongly acquainted with by far the bravest and finest of the Gascons, and cousin to Roxane, Cyrano de Bergerac. What is more, he completely supports my campaign to win her love! The other cadets recognize his acceptance of me and are no longer so harsh as they were before. They even seem to have gained a sort of admiration for my association with so temperamental a warrior and poet. From what I hear, he has gained quite a reputation recently for some sort of stunt he pulled at the Hotel de Bourgogne. I still don't know the details, but I am delighted to hear that he made a real fool out of Valvert. If only I had stayed long enough to have been able to witness that.



I first met him at the pastry shop of Ragueneau. Though it had been my first time there, I had heard rumors that it was a wonderful bakery.

 But all of this pales in comparison to the marvelousness of the scheme that my good friend has developed. I have come to accept that I myself could never be enough for Roxane without a mind capable of doing justice to my emotions, and nothing will truly change the fact that my intellect is terribly lacking. However, Cyrano (for reasons that I can not begin to fathom) has taken it upon himself to lend me his poetic excellence, and write love letters to Roxane as if it had been mine own hand that had written them. When I asked him what he stood to gain from this, he said that it was merely an amusing challenge for a poet of his greatness. Oh how I envy the way that such a thing as this comes so naturally to him, but considering this current arrangement, I don't think it will be long before I have come to know Cyrano's writing well enough to be able to sustain this relationship on my own.


It is now wonder that this place is so well known. The aromas of baked bread can be smelled all the way down the block.  

No comments:

Post a Comment